What is a SAWs Affiliate?
A SAWs Affiliate is a group of volunteers who come together to build wheelchair ramps for those most in need in their area. The Affiliate may be associated with a church or civic organization and is assigned a geographic service area by SAWs, Inc. The Affiliate has a physical location known as the hub to serve as the center of an area of influence. The hub will send and receive information, provide support and get feedback from its area of influence. The SAWs Hub is conceived and designed to serve its assigned counties as the controlling entity.
Each Hub should have the following:
- An Area Coordinator who is in charge of managing the projects in the Affiliate’s area
- A reasonably central geographic location given its area of influence
- Project Managers who lead builds in the Affiliate’s area
- A strong volunteer team
- All the necessary tools and transportation equipment for kitting and distribution
- A facility for pre-fabrication (warehouse, barn, garage, etc.) and inside storage for materials and tools. (Outside storage is acceptable if secure from pilferage.)
- A willingness to raise funds from individuals, churches and corporations to build ramps in the Affiliate’s area
- Ultimately, sufficient volunteer support to perform all the SAWs process steps from start to finish.
If you are interested in learning more about how to become an Affiliate or Hub, please contact David James at firstname.lastname@example.org